A Path To Juilliard


When several students start out and study with me, a question that comes up is how to prepare themselves for a major conservatory. I never think of my teaching in any format of leading to a goal like that, but more of self discovery and the ultimate potential of the student as an individual. But as of late I’m reflecting on a recent student I’ve had since junior high where he was basically a beginner- all the way to his graduation acceptance and enrollment at the Juilliard School. I’m always interested in the human condition and the pieces that lead to the present we create for ourselves. I reflect on the seven years I had with this student, from the trials and tribulations, to how he got to where he wanted to go. My family and his family decided to have dinner together and explore this “formula” for lack of a better word. In short, we found it takes a village. We found it takes an ultimate commitment in priority to the arts as religion. We found that it is much the parents heart and support, as it is the teachers output of tools and practice. But the thing that stuck out the most to me is the work of self discovery to become an artist at the youngest age possible. In other words to play drums great at any age you have to also learn about yourself. The head game, the soul game, the body game, all three as one. Of course I’m not implying there is any concrete formula that I can write down as a scientifically sound path from beginner to conservatory. But I will say this, if you’re focus is on being the best you, then any goal is possible!